The hospitality Industry is a global industry! It offers exciting opportunities to graduates who wish to travel, and take up careers both locally and abroad. It is one of the world’s fastest growing and most dynamic fields of employment, with positive trends forecasted for the coming years. According to the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC), the industry is promising more growth and a powerful economic influence in the next decade over and above the 260 million jobs worldwide already created by the industry.
In fact, here are some really exciting worldwide statistics:
- 8.7% of worldwide employment is in travel & tourism/ hospitality
- Travel and Tourism worldwide is expected to grow by 4% per annum from 2013 – 2023
- 337 million jobs worldwide by 2023 or … 1 in every 10 jobs on the planet
So do you really still need any convincing?
Now that you are happy to choose a career in hospitality, finding the one that’s best for you can be quite daunting. Especially if you’re unsure of what types of careers are available and what is involved in various hospitality jobs. And there are so many jobs to choose from – it’s a very diverse industry.
Here are some broad industry sectors to consider:
- Hotels, resorts and game lodges
- Restaurants and all other types of food service operations
- Cruise ships, airlines and luxury passenger rail
- Theme parks and casinos
- Meetings, events and incentives
- Recreation and sports management
- Local tourist destinations and attractions
Having so many options open to you allows you growth and progression within one single industry, through a variety of diverse and interesting job opportunities. Below we have listed a few types of jobs available in the hospitality industry as a guide.
Front Desk Clerks / Receptionists; Porters / Bellhop; Room attendant; Room Service; Waiter/Waitress; Food Prep; Line Cooks / Commis
Concierges; Front Desk Supervisor; Housekeeping Supervisor; Restaurant Manager; Accounting Clerks; Purchasing Clerks; Event planners / co-ordinators; Assistant Banqueting Manager; Assistant Hotel Manager; Sous Chef
Senior / management positions:
Executive Chef; Sales and Marketing Manager; Hotel Manager; Financial Manager; Chief Engineer or Maintenance Manager; Security Manager; Spa and Recreation Director; Executive Housekeeper; Food & Beverage Manager; Front Office Manager