A foreign student may be registered as a student at a South African Educational Institute after having obtained a study permit from the South African Embassy or Mission in the student’s home country. Upon acceptance, the prospective student needs to pay their initial non-refundable deposit to verify their intention to study with International Hotel School. Visa Letters will only then be issued by the relevant campus. Please note that applying for a student Visa is a totally external process as it happens in the applicant’s home country and therefore we are unable to assist in this regard. We suggest you go through an agent if you need assistance in this regard. For more information on international applications, click here.
Most foreign school qualifications will be accepted for the purposes of admission to IHS, but they must be evaluated first by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA). No foreign national may be accepted without the qualification being evaluated by SAQA first. See “Foreign Qualifications Evaluation and Advisory Service”. Due to privacy laws, all applications to SAQA must be done by the student directly and IHS are not able to assist in this process. Applications can be done online directly through their website. Fees do apply which are payable directly to SAQA.
We have bursary programmes available for our 2nd and 3rd year students. These are awarded on the student’s academic and practical performance, as well as assessed on need. Applications for these close at the end of the tuition year and are awarded for the following year. IHS students must contact their Academic Administrator for more information.

Yes you can. There is an initial deposit payment due when you are accepted (R3000 for the Traineeship Programmes and R5000 for Full Time Programmes). Then you can choose from three “Payment Elections”.

  • Option 1: Early payment – 7.5% discount
  • Option 2: Full Payment by registration day – 5% discount
  • Option 3: Instalment payments – Interest Free. (For those interested in option 3 a credit check will apply.)
Visit our Payment Options page for more information. Click here

Majority of our programmes are registered with the DHET (Department of Higher Education & Training). The 3 year Diploma Programmes; in Hospitality Management or Professional Cookery & Kitchen Management, are both registered at NQF Level 6. As well as the Higher Certificate Programmes, in Hospitality Management or Food & Beverage Management, both are registered at NQF Level 5. These qualifications are recognized all round the world. When applying for a job, potential employers will contact DHET to verify your qualifications.

We are an Approved Training Centre for the City & Guilds of London. We have a 1-year Culinary Arts programme (City & Guilds Diploma level), there is an optional extra year of study where you can obtain your City & Guilds Advanced Diploma in Food Preparation and Cookery Supervision and a City & Guilds Diploma in Food Preparation and Cooking (Patisserie).

In recognition of the quality of the IHS Diplomas, the American Hotel and Lodging Educational Institute (AHLEI) award their diplomas to students who have registered with them and have passed all examinable subjects with a minimum of 70%.

International Hotel School is a CTH approved training centre and their Diploma in Professional Culinary Arts has been designed in in partnership with Gordon Ramsay’s Tante Marie Culinary Academy.

  • Full-time studies

    These programmes consists of 50% academic (classroom) study and 50% work integrated learning (practical) which takes place in leading hospitality establishments. The programme’s equal emphasis on both academic and work integrated learning ensures that graduates are job ready. You can study Hospitality Management Diploma, Professional Cookery & Kitchen Management Diploma, Higher Certificate in Hospitality Management, Higher Certificate in Food & Beverage Management, or Culinary Arts by the full-time method of study. You pay a tuition fee and need to cover the costs of your uniforms, transport and accommodation.

  • Traineeship studies

    Based on well-established apprenticeship principles, a Traineeship is an ‘work while you learn” alternative to full time tertiary education. Trainees are selected via a series of interviews to be trained at a Hotel (usually a distance away from each Campus). You will study via distance and online learning, whilst you are working. You pay a tuition fee and need to cover the costs of your transport and accommodation, trainee allowance is dependent on the property at which they are placed. You need your own computer with internet capability to make contact with your on-line tutors.

  • IHS Online

    International Hotel School Online is an online platform for those working in the hospitality industry to improve and update their knowledge, or for those interested in studying without the commitment of attending a course full time. Online students follow a Learning Pathway and complete assignments, participate in discussion groups and are assisted by an Online tutor.

  • Distance Learning/Correspondence

    This is a purely distance learning method where you pay per subject (there are over 30 to choose from) and you receive the textbook and you study entirely on your own. You need to write you exam within 12 months of registering. You arrange your own experience learning or job.

Due to the program content you cannot study hospitality and culinary arts at the same time. We always suggest that students start with the field they are most passionate about and they study the other field at a later stage via online learning or distance learning.

Unfortunately, we do not offer in-service training to students who did not study at International Hotel School.
Yes we do. Practical industry experience is a vital part of the knowledge and skills you need to become a world class Hospitality or Culinary Professional. Our Work Integrated Learning (practical) which takes place at leading hospitality establishments is what sets us apart from our competitors. For the duration of their programme, students will spend 50% of the programme on the campus covering the academic curriculum and 50% of the programme in industry. When students leave the programme, they are job ready.
There are a lot of factors that go into transferring from different institutions. You need to bear in mind that the institutions offer a different qualifications. A transcript detailing the other school’s course material, marks and program content would have to be provided to the Academic Board for final approval. It is best to discuss the matter with a consultant and they will help you through the process.
You do not need to have work experience to study with us, but you do need to have a passion for the industry. We do however encourage students to do some job shadowing so that can get a real life taste of what it like is to work in the hospitality industry.
Yes you can still study with us, we offer a variety of programs that do not require a matric certificate as an entry requirement.

You do not need to have any specific subjects or points (APS scores) to study with us, not all schools offer the same subjects. We offer a variety of programs that have different entry requirements.

Full time
  • 3yr Diploma Programmes – National Senior Certificate with Diploma Entry
  • Higher Certificates - National Senior Certificate with Higher Certificate Entry
  • Culinary Arts – Minimum of Gr 10
  • 2yr Traineeship Programmes - National Senior Certificate with Higher Certificate Entry